Salkantay trek tours is a popular destination for trek lovers and hikers. This not only gives you an adrenaline rush and fills you with excitement but also offers breathtaking scenic beauty. Additionally, it bestows you with a diverse trekking experience, within only five days and four nights. So if you are excited about the same, go grab a map immediately to check the itinerary for your trek.
Itinerary for Salkantay Trek Tours
The proposed itinerary for the Salkantay trek during your tours to Peru from USA is as follows:
Day 1: Cusco – Mollepata – Soraypampa – Salkantay Pampa
After breakfast, you will have to trek to Sayapata, where you can meet the horsemen and support team. From there, you will have to trek to Soraypampa, where you can explore rainbow mountain adventures. Then again after lunch and adequate rest, you will have to trek to Salkantay Pampa.
Day 2: Salkantay Pampa – Saytococha – Arba Salkantay / El Paso – Huayracmachay – Colpapampa
The trek from Salkantay Pampa Soyrococha is steeper; however, you can get some amazing views of the Salkantay Range. From here, you will have to descend to Huaramachay for your lunch. Once done, you can descend down to Colpapampa.
Day 3: Colapapampa – La Playa
On your third day of the trek, you will have to ascend a bit to reach La Playa to experience some breathtaking scenic beauty. You will have to camp at La Playa itself for the night.
Day 4: La Playa – Hidroeléctrica – Aguas Calientes
On day 4, you can explore some fun activities at Colcamayu. From here, you will have to trek to Llactapata via Hidroelectrica and then finally to Aguas Calientes.
Day 5: Aguas Calientes – Machu Picchu – Cusco
On the final day, you can take a bus to Machu Picchu from here. From here you can travel back to Cusco via a private car or another bus.
There are some top highlights that you can witness during your trek that are sure to mesmerise you.
Top Highlights of the Trek
Similar to the Ancascocha trek, you can get to witness some of the top highlights of this place which are as follows:
- Machu Picchu
- Llactapata Inca Ruins
- Abra Salkantay Pass
- Cocalmayo Hot Springs
- Humantay Lagoon
You can also separately plan for Machu Picchu 1 day tour via Salkantay to witness the mesmerising ancient ruins of this place. There are several ways in which you can prepare yourself beforehand to ensure a smooth trek.
Ways to Prepare for the Salkantay Trek
Different ways in which you can prepare for your trek while planning your Machu Picchu tours from USA are as follows:
- Get involved in rigorous cardio exercise: You can get involved in some cardio activities to increase the strength of your body.
- Maintain a healthy balanced diet: It is essential to eat a calorie-balanced lunch to increase your fitness for your trip.
- Practice carrying heavy weights on your back: You will have to carry water, food, and other essentials during your trek. So you can practice beforehand to get accustomed to it.
- Go for a walk in your locality: You can practice local treks to make your body accustomed to it. This ensures that you can easily walk for long hours during the trek.
- Try out yoga or meditation: You can opt for yoga and meditation to calm your mind when you panic thinking about the trek.
However, there are certain things that you can consider while planning your Machu Picchu 1-day tour.
Things to Consider While Planning Salkantay Trek Tours
Below are some things that you should consider while planning to visit Salkantayduring your Machu Picchu tour:
- Best time to visit Salkantay: You can plan your trip anytime around the year. However, for the best outdoor experience, you can visit April, May, June, September and October.
- Altitude on the Salkantay: The altitude of Salkantay is about 6,271 metres. Hence, you need to take additional measures for a smoother trek.
Additionally, there are some essential items that you can pack for your trek that would be highly beneficial for you.
Essential Items to Pack for Salkantay Trek
Below are some vital items that you should pack for your trek tour:
- More than one pair of socks: These are essential to keep your feet from moisture, blisters and excess pressure.
- Pick the right footwear: Since you have to walk long distances, you should pack one or more pairs of comfortable footwear.
- Select an appropriate backpack: It is essential to pack the right bag pack so that you can easily carry sufficient number of items.
- Keep sufficient underwear: Pack sufficient underwear to stay fresh during our trek.
Although the level of difficulty for Salkantay trek tours is a bit high, with some prior preparations, you will also be able to achieve this milestone. In addition, you can witness lush green forests and picturesque mountain peaks to add more thrill to your trek tour.